Friday 14 March 2014

Trousers



The weather must be turning as I've put down my knitting this week and cranked up the sewing machine.
Maybe it's the Great British Sewing Bee influence, or maybe it's necessity as small people will keep on growing, won't they!
Again I've turned to the fabulous quick change trouser pattern from Anna-Maria Horner. It's so easy, you can make them as jazzy or plain as you like, they can be reversible and the fit is great for cloth bums or disposable wearers.
The only sad point is that I'm making the last size - 24mths :(
And although I can slightly alter them to make them bigger it does lead me onto another problem I'm finding - patterns for older children.
I'm struggling to find anything nice for about 5 upwards, if you have any brands/shops you can recommend I'd love it if you left a comment.  I'm not even looking for anything fancy but there seems to be a real lack in this department, plenty for babies and toddlers but not much for the older kids, that isn't dated or party dresses.

The ones above were made out of some old men's black cord trousers and the lining is a thin cotton from Ikea.

I've already cut out another pair, this time in 0-3mths, which will hopefully be a gift if they turn out ok!

2 comments:

MILLY said...

I think I was also inspired by the sewing bee. I made a bag over the weekend.
Thank you for your reply, it was 2010 festival of quilt, you had put my name under my butterfly quilt, thank you. I asked if you had started any patchwork as that is the place to be inspired. I attended that show, never made it since and a wedding this year that weekend.
Your sewing is lovely, it does give a good feeling to make things. I bought a simple pattern for a top, after the first sewing bee, not yet found the time!
I once made a simple patchwork using my daughters childhood clothes. Save yours for the patchwork, lovely way to keep memories.

Anna said...

Thanks Milly, I hope to go to the quilt show again this year, I love seeing everyones creativity and yes I do hope to start a patchwork project soon, I love your idea of using old children's clothes!