Saturday 28 August 2010

Festival of Quilts round-up

After a visual feast last week at the NEC, here is a round up of my favourite works


This is my favourite of the whole show and something that I would like to aspire to soon.

A Year in Flowers, Edna Marie Nylen, Norway. Hexagon paper pieces sewn & quilted by hand

This is the back and the labels



LEFT: Changing Seasons, Judith Day, Australia. Hand appliqued and quilted

RIGHT: Audaciously Embedded (In spite of my better judgement), Alison Davies, Nottingham. Machine pieced, hand quilted, recycled fabrics, including boxer shorts!




 
LEFT: Blue Mood, Patricia Boult, Filongley. Hand pieced over papers, hand quilted
RIGHT: Chris & Genna's Wedding Quilt, Pam Stanier, Malvern Wells. Machine pieced and lightly quilted




LEFT: Just William, Teresa Hills, Bexhill on Sea. English paper pieced, hand pieced and tied, William Morris fabrics
RIGHT: Grandmother's Flower Garden, Mary Reader, Wisbech. Handmade





 
Prancing Horse, Dilys Fronks, Mold. Bonded fabrics
Front & Back





 
TOP: Untitled, John Marcham, Reading. Log cabin sampler, machine pieced & quilted
BOTTOM: close up of Postage Stamp Quilt, Janice Monteith & Karen Florey. Hand cut & pieced, long arm quilted




 
TOP: Blackberry Jam, Jelly &Juice, Sheena Hughes, Bicester. 2nd place Art Quilt
BOTTOM: Portholes, Lucie Summers & Jenny Spencer. Group Quilt Winner




 

Labelled for Life, Jackie Smith, Hertford. Clothing & textile labels pieced, inserted & appliqued





 
LEFT: Costa Rican Carnival, Emese Hall, Exeter
RIGHT: Day after Day, Irene Sharman, Hebden Bridge. Journal templates





 
LEFT: As Time and Fashion Go By, Denise Feireisen-Schmit, Luxembourg. Clothing labels
RIGHT: Happy Anniversary, Marc Whitehead, Southampton. Patchwork hand pieced




 


Stacked, Arnout Cosman, Netherlands. Templates created using software






Painted Lady, Eileen Postlethwaite, Kirkby in Furness. Minature Quilt: Hand printed blocks, machine pieced, hand quilted

 
The quality of the ideas and techniques are truly remarkable and are only really visible when viewed up close, I would definitely recommend this show, even if you're not sure you're 'into quilting', if you like textiles or colour you will find it really interesting and a good day out.

2 comments:

MILLY said...

What a lovely surprise to find my "painted lady" miniature quilt on your blog. Glad you liked it.

Yes it was a very inspiring show. You seem to like a lot of the quilts I liked too.
Eileenx

Sylvie said...

Hi, my name is Sylvie Heasman and I was wondering if Jenny Spencer is the same person who quilted my Mermaid quilt for me a few years ago? She did me proud on my quilt and I'd like to add her name to my blog page http://sylviesdesigns.blogspot.com
could you confirm this for me? My email address is sylviesdesigns@gmail.com.
thanks. ;-D