Where has May gone?! It's been a blur of Birthdays, school, work, sunshine & showers!
At the beginning of the month it was mine and the Eldest girls birthday, we're 'lucky' (!) to share the same day - I'm not sure being in labour on your birthday is the best way to spend it and it does mean I'm usually now running around like a blue-arsed fly on my birthday! Seriously, it's really nice and while she was enjoying the day at school,my day consisted of putting up lots of bunting/birthday posters and blowing up balloons - how is blowing up balloons with a pump so tiring?! I managed about 3 before I was bored and my arms were aching! I did manage to squeeze in some 'me' time for a lovely bit of sewing time with the iPod blasting and singing badly!
The sewing wasn't all therapeutic though, I was attempting to make 12 party bags for the party that was due in the next two days! I'm glad to say I did manage it, even had a few spares!
I was determined to make them using only fabric I already had (which is way too much and needs reducing!)
I made a rough rectangle template based on the size of the 'goodies' that were going in them - mostly small making kits from Hobbycraft and cut each bag on the fold so I'd only have two sides to hem.
To neaten the insides I also decided to do French seams, so I folded the fabric WRONG sides together to do the first line of stitching, then turned it back again to have RIGHT sides together and did another line of stitching down the side and along the bottom, the seam allowance has to be a bit more generous for this so that you hide all the first allowance inside (see last picture).
Then I just need to fold over a hem for the top of the bag, which I did twice and then pinned the handles in place (pieces of ribbon), poking them under the hem. I did two rows of stitching for strength.
The other sewing job I've done this month is a present for my Dad's birthday, it's a key bag, so he can keep all his keys in it, instead of a food bag!
I used the Bento Bag pattern in Sew Hip, issue 29 as a starting point and adapted it slightly. The denim material was a secondhand pillow-case and the lining a piece of an old sheet!
Putting it all together was easy, instructions for box corners never make sense to me in written patterns, visual instruction for things like that are much better! Basically it's two box shapes put together, topstitched at the hem and a channel for the cord on the outside. I used bias binding for the channel as trying to press a tiny hem proved too much for my fat fingers! The denim fabric was also quite bulky which restricts the gathering when pulled tight with the cord, but I haven't had any complaints from the recipient!
We've also had some new members of the family..
meet Harold & Tom, our first guinea pigs!
I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying them and it's lovely seeing the girls learning how to look after them.
I've also had my 20 week anomaly scan which went well thankfully, sadly I don't have any good pictures to share as little bump wouldn't keep still! The poor sonographer had a hard time getting all the measurements, let alone a good picture and we're not very sure on the gender either! I was convinced it was a boy, but now I don't know what to think! The suspense is going to kill me, I'm not good with surprises! I was going to start a Debbie Bliss baby cardigan once we knew what it was, but now I'm not sure what colours to use, cream seems a bit boring!
I've just realised I haven't taken any pics of my lovely birthday presents, I had a lovely handmade brooch from my sister and a lovely bunny by 'The Vintage Magpie', once this rain & greyness disappears I shall have to remedy that.
Well, on to June...which means our holiday is almost upon us, I honestly can't wait! We're going to Weymouth for the first time, I haven't been to the coast for years and the girls are very excited as we're staying in a caravan! If you have any Weymouth recommendations I'd love to hear them!