Saturday, 10 January 2009

Costumes

A new year, a new costume....




This time it was a 'dress as your favourite book character' day at school, so can you guess what the brief was?

If you answered Angelina Ballerina, you'd be correct!

In the last six months I've had to rustle up 3 dressing up costumes, which I've thoroughly enjoyed and have been glad that I got the sewing machine out again.

We had a robot for a Halloween party, an angel for the nativity and now this, hopefully my ideas will get a bit better as I've tended to go for simple items. I quite like the challenge of making a homemade costume as so many others just re-use any shop bought costumes they already have, there was an Indiana Jones at the book character day, which is surely stretching it a bit!


Anyway, so I got the leotard from eBay (£4), pink headband from Claire's Accessories and then some felt and ribbon, so less than £10 and then just used stuff we already had like the net tutu.


I just cut out a tail shape from some white felt, stitched, turned right way out and stuffed and hand sewed up the gap.
Cut out white and pink felt circles, glued together, but it didn't hold strongly enough (made it nice and rigid though) so I hand sewed the edges.
I rolled up some fischia ribbon to make a flower and stitch that onto the net tutu.
I also attached the tail with a popper as I was worried it would get in the way at school but I think I would have been safe just stitching it in place.
The feedback was very good, although she was a bit disappointed to find there was another 'Angelina' in her class!
Job well done I think and today I was pleased to spot a Sale in our local sewing shop today, fingers crossed as I'd really like some money off fabric so I can justify making the dress mentioned previously!
Post a Comment