Friday 20 September 2013

More lessons in patchwork

It's funny how the urge to do something specific hits, isn't it?
Not long after the visit to the NEC to look at quilts, I remembered the kit I bought from the Olympia Knitting and Stitching Show, which had just sat in a pile since March!
Then suddenly I have the urge to do it NOW!

I got the kit from Puddleducks, which contains a lovely charm pack from Moda: ABC-123 and has all the fabric for the front and instructions for £55.
They had a sample made up on their stall and I fell in love with it's reproduction style 1930's prints and bright colours and so duly treated myself!

The main technique for the quilt is half-square triangles - this was a new technique for me, basically you sew together two squares with two rows of stitching perpendicular to the diagonal line and then cut on the diagonal line!



Sounds easy and it was, sort of! 
As with all my patchwork, it's getting things to line up! 
I don't know if it's my cutting, I didn't think it could be my sewing this time as I have invested in a 1/4" foot to help guide me.
But I obviously need more practice!


So as you can see, things are a little out! It's only when you do these new techniques that you really appreciate the work you've seen exhibited!



But, I'm not too bothered, I did unpick and try again on several seams so that it's not as bad but I'm really enjoying putting it together.
Once the nine patch blocks are assembled you need to add the cream sashing strips and then my next job is the outer border and then another new technique of prairie points.
I hope to finish that quite soon, I also need to hunt for my sample blocks of batting as I'd like something new, something warm and soft as I'm hoping this will sit on the back of the sofa and be handy for curling up with. 
If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.






No comments: