Friday 16 November 2012

Walk around Witney


I'm trying to get in the habit of taking my SLR with me when I go out with the buggy and to also use different routes.
This was a glorious day this month where I strolled along West End over the river by the old Witney Blanket Factory site, through town and back over Langel common.



















I've slotted in this old photo of Witney from the 1980's courtesy of the Francis Frith collection, this is how I remember Witney from my childhood, when there was no Woolgate Centre, we played around derelict buildings where Langdale Court now is, going to Witney cinema to see Lenny the Lion and The Rescuers, an exciting trip to the new freezer shop in Corn Street (Iceland?) and when I look at the picture above of the old Waitrose I hear my Mum telling me about how when my sister was small, babies were left outside shops (in their Silver Crosses?!) because they didn't fit inside and it was the done thing!




The Corn Exchange after having it's renovations.
























1 comment:

Sue said...

Lovely photos yet again. We didn't have our usual walk across Langel when we were in Witney this time. We noticed that the Corn Exchange looked a lot cleaner but we forgot to ask someone if it is open again yet.

Best wishes
Sue